SSV SOFTWARE SYSTEMS REGISTER  REGISTER
START FAQ SEARCH MITGLIEDER PROFILE  Log in 
SSV-Forum
Howto create a bootable rescue USB key ?

<<< Previous topic - Next topic >>>  
eric_pascual

PostPosted: 10.08.2010, 08:20    Post subject: Howto create a bootable rescue USB key ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I confess not being very familiar with this kind of stuff in the Linux world, so here is my problem.

I would need to create a bootable USB key for the 2486 in order to be able to run fsck on partitions of the Flash memory.

Since I upgraded the installed file system to Max Linux, the boot reports /dev/sda5 be mounted with errors, and suggests running fsck on it. The problem is that, as anybody may know, running fsck on a mounted file system is strongly discouraged and can lead to fatal problems. Thus the need for the bootable USB key including required content to run fsck.

Could someone point me to a step by step procedure for creating such a beast ?

Thanks in advance

Best regards
hne

PostPosted: 18.08.2010, 17:25    Post subject: Howto run as RAMDISK for fsck the system Reply with quote

Hello,

creating bootable USB stick is not easy. On internet exist many descriptions for doing that.

Running fsck:
You can run fsck on mounted filesystem. The different is: You should it not run on read/write mounted system. In boot loader we have set option "ro" (read only), so fsck can run at boot time before the system will remounted it read/write.

An other way is to use the MIN-Linux. Min-Linux still exist, as long you have not removed it. After Power on, simple press and hold down key "ESC" in a serial terminal and wait for this message:
Code:
Loading  aborted.
boot:

Than type:
Code:
ramdisk

After the boot you are in MIN-Linux and you can repair /dev/sda5 manualy.

Please remember to set the system date and time before you runs fsck. Other case fsck will detect a long time period not run fsck and runs it again on next boot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SSV-Forum Forum Index >>> DNP/2486 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: